when i started the project Make Bug Faster, i knew i wanted it to remain understated, at least externally. i knew the gauges i put in would be a bit of a giveaway, but i told myself, "nothing else!".
i didn't want any of the modified grills, lowering (ugh), extra bits of body decor, spoiler, window decals, tinted tail lights, chrome tip exhaust, etc etc etc.
i even didn't want the underbody neon, if that can be believed.
but i did cave a little bit, when i decided i wanted it to be known that it was a diesel. save for the beetle, the other VW diesels all have a TDI badge. so i opted for an aftermarket one.
there is actually a color-coding to the letters, though VW applies this coding only in Europe (the US ones are always all-silver).
All silver: 90 hp
Red 'I': 110 hp
Red 'DI': 130 hp
All red: 150 hp
What VW does above 150, i'm not sure.
i ordered the red 'DI' before i dyno'ed, which was a bit of a leap of faith. i'd have felt silly if i hadn't dyno'ed at least 130 hp, and even sillier if it was above 150. but, i got it right, and after getting it washed and on a warm, sunny day, i put on my new badge.
first, i carefully lined up the D with the VW badge. then i put on the I, then the T. all by hand/eye, all being very careful. and when i was done, it occurred to me that the T and the I are of different widths, so the badge as a whole isn't centered. ugh!
the gf was "helpful":
it looks fine to me. you're the only one who'll notice. you and everyone who modifies their VW's.
thanks for that.
i'll do it proper if/when i go for 150 hp.